Fortnite is one of the most popular games launched in 2017. It is a cross-platform Battle Royale game available to Android, ios and Xbox users. Some users have complained about issues that has to do with Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working, this article addresses that, as well as offering alternatives to the voice chat and how to turn off the voice chat.
How To Fix Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working
Not being able to communicate with your teammate during the game can be very frustrating as there is no way to coordinate with your team during the game without a voice chat and some Fortnite gamers have come out to say that they can not hear their teammates and vice versa. While none of the solutions below is cut and dry, they are worth a shot because many users facing the same issues have reported success after using one of them.
Before we get down to more advanced fixes, we’ll try the very basic things like
Signing out and signing back in-
This may sound like a no-brainer, but it has worked for a good number of users and we hope it works for you but if it doesn’t, move on the next hack.
Check your Headset –
If you are not on a wireless headset, unplug and replug your headset. Check the volume button and make sure you do not have it on mute. If you are using a wireless headset, check that it is powered on and that you have a strong connection to your gaming computer. Check that the headset works fine on other platforms and if it does, you can cross your headset off the suspect list.
Check Fortnite Audio Settings –
To do this, Navigate to your Fortnite game settings and turn the voice chat button off and on a few times. To get started;
- Click on the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner and tap on the gear icon to open game settings
- Click on the speaker icon
- Select turn off voice chat from the option listed and then click Apply
- Exit Fornite
- Relaunch it and go through the process again but this time, turn on the voice chat and see if it works
Check your PC audio settings-
- Right-click the speaker icon at the bottom-right corner of your PC
Select sounds from the list of options
- Navigate to the playback tab and choose the Speakers/Headphones you are using
- Click on Set Default
- Navigate to the Recording tab and choose the microphone you are set up with
- Tap Set Default and then OK. You can check if it works by speaking into the microphone and watching for the green bar spikes when you make a sound.
Ensure that Fortnite has Permission to access the microphone from your windows PC-
- Hold down the Windows Key + I
- Select Privacy
- From the left pane, click on the microphone
- Toggle on the overall app access to microphone and then scroll down and under the list of apps, look for Fortnite and ensure that the status is on.
Install the latest Fortnite Patch-
Fortnite patches are regularly released by the game developers to fix bugs. It is possible, that a recent patch may have stopped your chat from working and a new patch is required to fix it. You can take the following steps to automatically install future updates to the system if a patch is available –
- Open Epic Games Launcher and then, select Library from the left side section
- Click on the gear icon on the lower-right side of Fortnite
- Toggle on the auto-update option
- Restart the Games Launcher
- Run Fortnite again to see if the problem is fixed
Update your Audio Drivers –
Check to make sure your audio drivers are up to date and if you have done this previously, check on the Fortnite forums that this is not the issue since drivers updates have been known to break game functionality for some users. If this happens to be the issue, simply roll back to a previous update. Otherwise,
- Hold the Window Key + S to bring up the search menu
- Type Device Manger
- Click to show the dropdown for sound, video and game controllers
- Right-click on your driver and then click on Update Driver Software
- Select scan automatically and it will check for the latest sound drivers online and notify you
Restart your Windows Audio Service –
- Simultaneously hold the windows key + R to open up the dialogue box
- Type services.msc into the dialogue box and press OK
- Right-click on windows audio
- Select restart and then close the window
- Launch Fortnite and check if the voice chat works.
If you have gone through this list and you still get the Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working error, you might have to reinstall the game as a last resort.
Alternatives To Fortnite Voice Chat
You might have tried all of the above and hit a rock or you might just be looking for an alternative to the voice chat. The Discord app seems to be a perfect alternative. The Discord app is an app designed to serve the gaming community. It allows users to text message, voice and video call creating a perfect channel for gamers to communicate and strategize with their team midgame.
With over 130M registered users, Discord is available for PCs, Macs, and mobile devices.
See Also: What Is Chatstep, How Safe Is It, Are there Good Alternatives to it?
How Do I Turn Off Fortnite Voice Chat? –
You might just want to be able to play your game in peace without the interference of other people’s voices or one person’s voice. You can do this in a couple of ways
Mute the Fortnite Chat Completely –
This will mute the sound from both friends and randomly matched players in the game and you can do this by navigating to your sound tab and selecting from the list of voice chat toggles, the voice chat and then togging it off.
Mute Specific Players –
You might want to mute a specific person in your squad because you do not like the sound of their voice or do not care much for their commentary or for whatever reason. You can do this by simply pressing Escape or Pause on the console to open the menu that shows you all the options and your duo and squad members.
To mute one of them, hover the mouse over the player’s card and double click. On the console, you can achieve this by navigating using your joystick and pressing the corresponding button that appears on the screen.