There are potentially endless reasons why you would love to have a router in your home. One of the major reasons for having a router is that it literally allows multiple users to connect to the Internet. To connect your device to the Internet, you must always have a public IP address that is unique. This only implies that Internet providers only provide a single IP address or charge lots of money for a relatively large amount of publicly routable addresses. Thankfully, the use of routers allows users to connect to an internet source by using a router machine that features NAT. This enables your router to utilize the single public IP address plus a broad range of UDP ports for connection.
It is also important to note that routers have the possibility to connect different networks such as various architectures including Token Ring and perhaps Ethernet. Routers can potentially help to reduce network traffic by creating broadcast domains and collision domains. Simply, put, you have every reason to purchase and use a router.
Most of us will always find it fairly easy to set up a Wi-Fi router. Most routers today are easy to set and operate, and you only need to correctly use the online manuals and various Web interfaces to set one. If you have been using a router for a while, you may have come across the WPS button.
So, What is WPS?
Typically, WPS is an acronym for Wi-Fi Protected Set-up. Through this particular button, the connection between your router and any particular wireless device is made easier and faster as well. Simply put, it is a standard protocol security network. It is imperative to reiterate that a network that makes use of a password protection functionality can literally incorporate the use of WPS into its functionality. This is because WPS is primarily used to make wireless connections somewhat safer and more secure. They help to safeguard users against external and unwanted attacks.
When you connect a laptop, your mobile phone or even your tablet to a given wireless network, you’ll always be needed to key in some password. WPS helps Internet users to conduct this connection process more easily and in a convenient manner. An important point to take note of is that WPS will only function on wireless machines which support either WPA2 OR WPA Personal. If you didn’t know, this functionality doesn’t work on machines which use WEP. Regardless, WPS is arguably the easiest and fastest way to create an Internet connection between a wireless network and a device.
How To Use The WPS button to Connect to a Wireless Network?
You must have known that each time you intend to connect a device to a wireless network, you must know the SSID, which is network name, and unless it is a non-protected wi-fi network, you must also key in the password. However, by using the WPS button, you won’t be required to enter any sort of password.
It is very easy to create a connection between a computer device and a wireless network using the WPS button. Follow these procedures as described below:
• To successfully connect a device such as a smartphone or even a laptop to a given wireless network using the WPS button, start by pressing the WPS button on the router device.
• After this, go ahead and pick the device you want to connect to the network. After this, select and subsequently connect it to your wireless network name.
• If you did everything right up to this level, then your laptop and phone should be automatically connected to the network. You won’t be asked any sort of password! It is critical to note that this connection procedure applies to all printers that are wireless as well as wireless range extenders. The procedure for connecting different devices is more or less the same.
You can also connect your printer or range extenders to your wireless network. To achieve this, follow the procedure as explained below.
• Place your wireless printer closer to the router. Identify the wireless button on your printer. Long-press it until the light begins to blink because this is when you would have activated the Wi-Fi.
• Go ahead and press the WPS button on the router. Your printer will create a network connection with the router. Proceed by pressing the WPS setup on your printer and continue as explained below.
• Press the WPS button on the router and you would have successfully completed the connection process.
There is also another way to connect your devices to a wireless network using the WPS button. It involves the use of an 8-digit code. All types of routers that have WPS functionality have a unique code that is always generated automatically and can’t be altered by anyone. Locate this code from the configuration page on ‘demand’ for this code and by entering it you would have also initiated a connection between the network and the device.
What Types Of Operating System are WPS-Enabled?
If you didn’t know, there are only three types of operating systems which support WPS. These are Blackberry, Android and Windows.
Where is the WPS button on my router?
The WPS button is located either on the back or the front of the device, however, on most routers, it is located at the front together with the Ethernet ports. Nevertheless, you will need to consult the product documentation/manual to ascertain the detailed features of your router.
How long do you have to press the WPS button?
- Press the WPS button on your router or access point.
- On your device/product, press and hold down the Wi-Fi button for a minimum of 3 seconds.
Note: Be sure to press and hold the Wi-Fi button on your product within a space of 2 minutes of pressing the WPS button on your router or access point.